Tuesday, April 20, 2004

when the truth is not kind.

I work in a smallish nine-story government building, a converted department store built in the early part of the last century. By "converted" I really mean: restored on the outside (charming!) and transformed on the inside (gray, boring government standard-issue). Nice for pedestrians, but not-so-nice for those of us who have to trudge inside everyday. We take it as proof positive that our government cares about its workers, deeply.

This week--three years or so after we received a memo about "tightening security"--building management has made good on their threat to issue ID cards. I spent the better part of yesterday and today listening to moans and groans about bad ID pictures: "This picture makes me look fat/bald/old/greasy/ugly..." And I have successfully suppressed the urge to say obvious things like: "You ARE bald!".

I tend to look frightened in ID pictures, mostly in an effort to make my eyes look bigger. So this afternoon, when I went to have my ID made, I decided to quit being so self-conscious and to just look forward and smile. I have spent the rest of the afternoon complaining about how small my eyes look. "It makes my face look fat!"

Now, I know what you're thinking, so stop it.

Prescriptive thought for the day: Maybe the camera doesn't lie. But maybe it should.

posted by m at 5:38 PM



Content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons License.




about
rant


archives
04.04 05.04 06.04 07.04 08.04 10.04 11.04 12.04 02.05 03.05 04.05 05.05 06.05 07.05



































Powered by Blogger


Technorati Profile